For a healthy hair you must first have a healthy scalp.
This begins with good health regimen of eating well-balanced meals,
a regular routine of exercise, and adequate sleep. This is, of course,
the basis for maintaining a healthy body. With this in mind, there are some
special things to pay attention to, in order to maintain a healthy scalp.
Here are some tips that can keep your scalp looking and feeling great:
• Pay attention to the products that you use. Most people have the
mistaken idea that shampoos and other hair care products are gentle to the skin.
In fact, shampoos can have a drying effect on the scalp and hair.
They can also change the pH factor. This is the scale used to measure acidity
and alkalinity. Skin and hair are naturally acidic, while soaps are alkaline.
You don’t have to be a chemist to know if the shampoo you are using is
upsetting the balance and is too harsh. You’ll experience itching and dry scalp.
In some cases you can even feel a burning sensation.
• If you color or perm your hair, before you use the product,
do a sensitivity test on a small area. If you go to a salon, your stylist
will either test a small area or ask about sensitivities to hair care products.
• Limit your exposure to the sun. We have been educated to the fact
that the sun can cause skin cancer. We have gotten into the habit
of using sunscreen. But your hair won’t protect that sensitive scalp.
You should always wear a hat if you are planning to be outside for more
than a brief period of time. Prolonged exposure can cause your scalp to burn.
• If you have dandruff consider using a shampoo that has an antidandruff formula. It is a common misconception that dandruff is the result of a dry scalp.
Dandruff is the result of a more rapid shedding of the skin cells than normal.
• Consult a dermatologist if you show signs of eczema or seborrhea.
The warning signs are: itching, blisters, or a rash.
• Maintain good-grooming practices. When you wash your hair, use your
knuckles rather than your fingernails to give yourself a good scalp massage.
This will increase circulation to the scalp and promote healthy skin.
Wash your hair on a regular basis using products that are gentle to your skin.
• Replenish the oil and the moisture in hair.
For dry hair, scalp massaging with oil is recommended.
For more info, download Tips For A Healthy Scalp, a free ebook.